Wednesday, October 22, 2014

KPOPThisWay Exclusive: Interview with Jeremy Thurber



KPOPThisWay had an opportunity to interview Jeremy Thurber; a singer, songwriter, and performer in this year's KCON2014! He is based in Los Angeles, California and has performed in previous KCON events! He's worked with many of our favorite KPOP artists, such as TVXQ's Japanese song "Champion" which has hit platinum! Check out our exclusive interview with him below: 
When did you know you wanted to be an entertainer?
Jeremy: I always knew. When I was little, I would always watch the VMAs and TRL. I always knew, I did not want to do anything else.
And what inspires you to write/produce music?
Jeremy: Life experiences, relationships, hanging out with friends, and coming up with jokes with friends.  Justin Timberlake is a big inspiration. I saw him growing up in NSYNC and always singing and dancing. He was a huge influence. 
Do you enjoy listening to kpop? Who is your favorite kpop artist?
Jeremy: Yes, a lot of it. G-Dragon is my favorite solo artist. I also like F(x), 2ne1, and TVXQ because I recently wrote for them.
Did you watch GD at KCON after your set?
Jeremy: I did not stay after my set but I got to watch them rehearse. It was really cool to see him do his thing and rehearse and be the professional that he is.
Did you meet any kpop artists while you were there?
Jeremy: I got to meet Teen Top and VIXX. I got to meet IU very shortly.
Do you have a kpop bias?
Jeremy: Hmm… That’s tough. I don’t know! There is so many. I probably will say G-Dragon.
Any female bias?
Jeremy: I have to say Amber Lui, I love her so much. She probably going to hear this and say “what are you saying?”
What was your journey at KCON 2014? Describe how you were invited and able to perform. And how did it feel to perform at MCountdown?
Jeremy: Actually, Amber’s sister Jackie helped me out with the performance. Also, I’ve spoken and performed at KCON before. I’ve been part of KCON every year. So this year, I wanted to do it bigger and better. It was an awesome experience! It was great to perform on one of the biggest stages I ever got to play on and the biggest crowd.
How did you enter the kpop industry as a songwriter? You recently worked with TVXQ right?
Jeremy: I actually worked with quite a few groups. I have some CPOP, JPOP, and KPOP songs coming out. Unfortunately, I can’t reveal too much information until they’re released. They’re very hush hush. Sean Alexander and Jeremy Scott got me into the whole kpop scene. Chad Future, too, because I worked on his first single. That was the time I was really boiling underground in America and was lucky enough to become a part of growth and international presence.
Since you have produced music for Korean artists TVXQ, how does it feel to produce for foreign artists? would you like to keep working for the kpop industry as a songwriter?
Jeremy: It was definitely a different experience. You get to learn different things, you wouldn’t be able to learn here.  I always try to tell up and coming writers and artists that it’s not all about one place; it’s not all about the US, not all about Korea. Music is an international thing. There are so many different types of music around the world you can put into your style. And it’s all about having your own style. But it’s fun to work with international artists because the way they make music is so different, so you learn a lot in a short amount of time.
Was there a language barrier to overcome?
Jeremy: Yeah, there’s always a little bit but when I was in Korea hanging out with Amber and Girls Generation and other people, most of them speak really good english. And there’s a lot of them who are American. But there’s always a little barrier, like when going to the studio and certain things there is a slang for it but we just laugh about it and move on.
Who would you like to work with in the future? Kpop or non-kpop?
Jeremy: Kpop-wise, I would like to work with Girl’s Generation. US-wise, Chris Brown. He’s a very talented musician. Him and Rihanna would be awesome to work with.
You are coming out with a new single in the fall. What can we expect?
Jeremy: Well right now my EP #SOLO is out, which anyone can get on iTunes. But I’m working on a really cool new sound. I don’t want to give away too much but all I can say it’s funky. It’s super funky and sexy!
What is your biggest accomplishment to date?
Jeremy: Wow. That’s a tough question. There are so many things that I done recently that I’m proud of. Definitely KCON was one of the most exciting things I’ve ever done. Biggest crowd, biggest stage. It was like a dream realization that makes me want to work harder. Of course, working with TVXQ and it was the first platinum song I’ve written. That was major of me. I’m all about the kpop world. It definitely made a lot of my dreams come true.
This is a typical “kpop” question, how would your describe your ideal type?
Jeremy: My ideal type. That’s tough… I like tall, dark features, and I like someone I can play pranks on; who can laugh at themselves and play pranks on me and have a lot of fun. Because when I’m not in the studio with super stress on me or dealing with labels or being on stages, I just want to chill and be normal and weird. I just like to do fun, weird things and go on adventures. I definitely need a buddy.

Be on the lookout for Jeremy's future single and events! This guy is talented and we're excited to see where he performs next! Also, check out his KCON pre-show here
Follow Jeremy Thurber on social media! 

No comments:

Post a Comment